Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Your Tax Dollars

Hi All. I've decided to start this blog to tell you where some of your tax dollars are going, at both the Federal and local government levels. I have the unique experience of working for both. Some of them are being used for good purposes. Most are not.

At the local government level, I recently worked for the District Attorney's office, IT Division. There were about 70 employees there. The director of IT was a blowhard, who I shall call Hal. Hal was rarely around, and based his hiring criteria on finding the hottest chick who applied for the job, and hiring her. This was called "equal opportunity." It rarely worked out well for the taxpayer.

I found out why Hal was never around. He was using the division's entire training and travel budget as his own personal piggy bank. On constant "training" trips all over the US. Meanwhile, his employees weren't showing up for work, the crappy HP laptops he bought were blowing up like it was cool (I personally went through five of them), and the divisions applications ran like crap.

We just went through a property tax hike in this county. I was NOT happy about it. Knowing about Hal and the other people like him in that office sucking up those dollars..

No comments: