Friday, October 15, 2021

Mad Max Land

 Oh gods of data science, please save me from the harsh retribution of our overlords, model risk management and their evil minions.

Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of bad p-values, I will fear no evil: for thou R (sic, R the statistical scripting language) with me; thy extensive libraries and thy ggplots they comfort me.

I wrestled through a checklist that a model risk management idiot who can’t speak English (and that’s quite an indictment coming from a jarhead) is making me go through for no reason, other than she thinks it will bring wisdom to her empty head, and bread to an empty table which she probably needs cause I guarendamntee you that the bitch can’t cook.

Or maybe she’s just fucking with me. Probably the latter.

While I was doing it the horrible, cobbled-together model containment system that we are forced to use at gunpoint kept crashing. Not a good Friday. But it got better when my boss called and told me I would be getting a raise because the other scientists are jumping ship at the cyclic rate, because of the stupidity they have to endure here. He is actually a good man, although a little new to the management game and making the same mistakes as any second lieutenant would (except we’re civilians now). For that he’s forgiven of course, me having been a second lieutenant I have nothing but sympathy for him.

I’m not sure it’s better outside this company now in corporate America, from what I can see its a damn site worse especially if you’re working at an airline and people are forcing you to inject poison into your veins. I had a discussion with a pilot today at a minor carrier that I used to work for and mentioned that the average time to develop a vaccine was 12 to 15 years, to which he replied:

“This time it’s different.”

Hey genius, it ain’t different. We still have to test, adjust, and retest in any engineering project. Every time you try to short-change that process by saying test, adjust, and fuck it, you get airplanes falling out of the sky, and people getting sick. You know how I also know it’s not different? Because multiple countries have stopped the use of some of the vaccines. Because we keep catching the ruling class in this country pushing conflicting information about remedies that other countries are using successfully. Because the option to have your Nazi passport stamped doesn’t allow for the case of natural immunity.

Sounds pretty much like the same game to me.

And the people making the decisions in corporate America right now (particularly middle management) are becoming a majority of unqualified diversity hires. And these diversity hires are gutting corporate America. And you can gauge the level of damage by the financial disruption. Hollywood has been just about wiped out. They are producing nothing but shit, and their financials and viewership decline is monumental. Being led by a diversity hire that single-handedly wiped out a ten-billion-dollar franchise. It’ll be interesting to see if they can recover from this. They’re blaming it on the pandemic, but let’s be real. Cable TV and pay stream viewership should be through the roof, like internet usage. People can’t go out, so they watch more TV. Except they don’t, because its all crap. All the good stuff is the non-Hollywood stuff on youtube. People are getting their news from there now, also.

The gaming industry, which embraced the diversity mantra and wokeness, is getting slaughtered right now. The banking and insurance industries are getting hit with it, so be prepared for major bank disasters and bad financial decisions.

How will all this end? Are we going to be in Mad Max land or can we go back to the 80s? Eventually humanity will find its way back one way or another I think. The part I don’t know is, will the US be the country that does it?

No comments: