Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Crappy Jobs

I used to be in the Marines. As I was transferring our of my last unit the battalion commander gave me a JAG manual investigation on a missing laptop. This battalion commander was a particularly weak Lieutenant Colonel. He probably thought he was screwing me over with the investigation, as I was on my way out the door and didn't have the time to properly do the job. These JAG investigations were huge pains in the butt, and for a stolen laptop too. Pretty trivial.

I was pissed about it of course. But somewhere in my plans to blow it off I had a bit of an epiphany. I resolved to do the best job on that investigation that I had ever done on anything.

After I left the command called and told me that NIS had called and thanked them for a job well done.

So I guess the moral of the story is, when someone gives you a crappy job to screw you over, screw them over by doing it well.

No comments: