Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Why I'm Deleting my Stack Overflow Account

 Closed. This question is off-topic. It is not currently accepting answers.

-21


I like Stack Overflow as a user. I really do. I use it a lot. Mostly I wasn't really up on asking questions, because, like most people, I used it to find answers to my questions when I had a problem.

So, over the years, when I solved a problem that hadn't been answered, or maybe the answer didn't solve my problem, I would post my solution underneath the original question, and it helped a few people. Or maybe a few thousand people, I'm not sure. Eventually, I got up to over 2,400 points. Not a lot, but a lot for me. See, I'm not a great developer, I'm not even a developer, I'm an analyst that uses code. I'm not a super hacker, I just do the best I can, and expect others to treat me like I treat them.

Today I had a problem with Java, it was perplexing behavior, and I said to myself, "Hey self, maybe the community can help me out for a change. After all, I've been here forever, answering questions. Maybe a nice dev will pay it forward, and help me solve this problem, or maybe hint me in the right direction."

But no. No, that's not what happened. Even though I described the problem in detail, even though it was a relatively simple few lines of code, even though I've been here for, I dunno, maybe a decade, everyone and his dog immediately jumped on the ONE question that I asked in ten years, most of them without even reading it, downvoted it, and immediately closed it.

Leaving is probably a good thing, I've been using this place too much without reading the docs, or really thinking about the problem, or writing scraps to try and solve problems. And, maybe my question really was that bad. Maybe I should have included more debugging information.

Or, maybe there were a bunch of bored Richards on the site, who skim through questions and instead of passing them by, pounce on them. If that is the case, then there is no way this site will survive. This is too bad, because the site really did help me out.

This stackoverflow.com user profile will be deleted in 24 hours.

 New contributor
  • 10
    Deciding to ragequit (meant in as neutral a tone as possible) is seldom the way to address issues of how your question is or isn't received. I happen to have a gold badge in Java. If you're still interested in giving this site a chance, mind linking to your question? I could point out what I think could be wrong with it or what's missing in an effort to help you improve. 
    – Makoto
     3 hours ago
  • 8
    Ok, that's cool, but why did you decide to formally say goodbye on Meta? 
    – Dharman
     3 hours ago 
  • 4
    FWIW, asking questions is really difficult and I would not recommend it. It's much easier to provide answers than questions. All my questions have plenty of downvotes and I think they are good questions. 
    – Dharman
     3 hours ago
  • Thanks Makoto, I appreciate the offer. Maybe its not a rage quit, more like a slow-burn quit.  3 hours ago    
  • 2
    It seems to me like you are taking a single failure very personally. I doubt you are question banned, so you can think of a new question and try again. Questions often get downvotes because a good question is 1 in 1000. 
    – Dharman
     3 hours ago
  • 2
    So...you gonna take me up on the offer then and link your question? Without that rapid change in direction for this question, this is well on its way to being closed, and I'd like to at least try to help out here. 
    – Makoto
     3 hours ago
  • Take your time before posting a question. Think about it for a week or more. Do a lot of research. Try to imagine whether this topic will be useful to the community or not. When you actually do post a new question, it will be immediately viewed by 20-30 people who are experts in the field and the job of your question is to convince them that they should share their knowledge. 
    – Dharman
     3 hours ago
  • Question's been deleted, but thanks again.  3 hours ago   
  • 7
    Users with 10k+ rep can see deleted questions. But if you don't want to discuss it further, that's fine too - can't say I didn't try. Best of luck out there! 
    – Makoto
     3 hours ago
  • 7
    The question that set this off may have been this one, one that I was directly involved with. You asked about misbehaving code but didn't post a valid MRE with the question, and it got down-voted and close-voted, which shouldn't be unexpected. This would leave you with 1 of two options: 1. Edit the question and provide a valid MRE with an explanation of the posted code and the problems that you may be having with it, or 2. Deleting the question. It looks like you chose option "2." while the better option would be (in my opinion) "1."  2 hours ago 
  • 3
    And while it is hard to re-open questions once closed, I have seen questions re-opened and quickly as well as down-votes reversed if the OP responds promptly and positively to suggestions made on how to improve the question. I don't see that suggesting that you create and post an MRE as being hostile to you or your question, and if followed, would only make your question easier to answer and more helpful to future visitors, and isn't that what this site is for?  2 hours ago 
  • Actually, HFOE you partially just answered your own question by providing that link, that would have been helpful. But nobody did that on the original question. Cool name, btw. But closing down down this question is also a symptom. Obviously this question has people interested in talking about it, there are a bunch of comments. Yet it was still closed and labeled off-topic.  2 hours ago   
  • 7
    @OdysseusIthaca: that link was given to you in 2 comments to your original question, one of the comments was posted by me.  2 hours ago 
  • 5
    "But closing down down this question is also a symptom." - A symptom of what exactly? This question is indeed out of scope. As for the downvotes to this question, you didn't exactly provide an accurate representation of the question, that got downvoted and is resulting in you deleting your profile. Your question as others have said, didn't have a MRE, something you should know is required for a question to be answered. While it was close, you decided on your own, to delete the question.  2 hours ago 
  • 5
    I'm surprised that you're here for a decade and now kind of act like the concept of closing questions and why this is done on Stack Overflow (or any Stack Exchange site) is new to you. 
    – Tom
     1 hour ago
  • I don't think deleting all your answers is good... they could be helpful to future users!  20 mins ago

No comments: